Radish is an intentional community for people who believe in the "Obvious Truth" - that we are happiest and healthiest surrounded by people we love and admire. We design our home around the people who make us the best versions of ourselves.
We are 14 adults and (recently) a couple newborns living in a 5-building compound (6 apartments + a 5br house) in the Temescal/Longfellow neighborhood in Oakland. We are a 10 minute walk from the MacArthur BART, the restaurant and bars on Telegraph Ave, and Whole Foods.
We are a group of working professionals who live busy lives but like to come together every night and share a meal or dip in the hot tub.
The community was founded in 2019 and is proudly co-owned by a subset of the residents.
Currently there are 14 Radishes! We are a mix of entrepreneurs, inventors, creatives, thinkers and do-ers. We are highly motivated people who want to do some good in this world, but low drama and easy-going. We place importance on experiences rather than stuff. We are excited about the possibilities that a group of aligned, trusting people can create.
But most of all, we’re great friends. We like hanging out together - whether it be eggs in the morning or ice cream in the evening. We tend to make jokes, play pranks on one another and do projects together.
All of us believe there's more to living together than just sharing space. We value shared experiences, playfulness, big dreams, and mutual support. We love hosting, cooking, hiking, dancing, creating, dreaming and living well together. We cultivate an external network of friends who like to do the same.
For most residents, Radish is their first coliving experience.
We spent a lot of time outdoors. We have a huge outdoors space with hot tub, firepit, sauna, and garden
The beating heart of the community is the Blueberry, a custom-designed building that houses our communal kitchen
Dinners are a centerpiece of the Radish expeirence. You cook once a week and get fed 6 nights a week. We get food delivered to a central kitchen. There’s always something to eat.
The “Loveshack IV” Guest RV is where friends come and stay. It’s full most of the time.
We have 5 buildings at the Radish. Each has rooms or full aparmtent units at different prices points for different privacy/cost preferences.
- The Bunkhouse: A 5br house with private bedrooms that share bathrooms.
- The Cabins: A building with 4x 1br apartment units
- The Daikon: A building with two family-sized units
- The Turnip: Our friends bought the single family home next door
- The Blueberry: A standalone building for communal meals and hangouts
- An article one of our residents wrote in the NYTimes Modern Love column:
- A case study on Radish in Supernuclear a blog about coliving
- A feature in the California Sunday Magazine “12 Roommates Trying to Avoid the Suburbs”
- A general article on coliving from the New Yorker
- Co-buying property with friends (Star Tribune(